Deciding your basic IT requirements
IT is essential if you want to run a successful business, and
getting the right computer system will make the process much
simpler. As well as the usual hardware - computer, printer, and so
on; you will need to make sure you have the right software. This
guide will help you determine your IT requirements.
- Protecting your data
The most important hardware decision you will have to make is
choosing whether to buy a desktop or laptop computer. A desktop
will be cheaper but if you want freedom to roam or make
presentations to clients, a laptop is indispensable. You will
probably need a printer as well - decide whether you need the speed
of a laser printer or whether an inkjet will suffice. You also need
to consider whether you will need a scanner or photocopier, but for
many start-ups, these aren't necessary.
- Decide whether you need a laptop or a desktop computer
- An inkjet printer will probably suffice
- Consider whether you need a scanner or photocopier
Which software you buy depends upon your industry, but it's
highly likely you will need a good word processor, spreadsheet
package, and decent accounting software. Keep in mind that while
this software sounds expensive, much of it is available to download
for free as Open Source software, which will probably be adequate
for your business while you're starting up.
- The software you buy depends on your industry
- You will need a word processor, spreadsheet package and
- Most software can be downloaded for free
Protecting your data
The Data Protection Act requires that you keep your data safe,
so make sure you keep it as secure as possible. Protect your
computer and any sensitive files with a password, and make sure you
stay vigilant if you ever need to take data out of the office.
Losing data could also be devastating to your business, so make
sure you back it up regularly.
- Protect sensitive data with a password
- Stay vigilant if you take laptops or memory sticks out of the
- Back up regularly
Smarta Business Builder
To help you on your business journey, we've created Smarta Business Builder, the complete online
tools package for growing your business. Website
Documents and Email - all in one place
- from just £20 per month with no contract! Try it out today.