Finding data servers for your business
While a Local Area Network (LAN) means you can share files, you
will eventually need a central server to store data on, and because
keeping your data protected should be a major concern for most
businesses, it's essential you buy a reliable server. This guide
will explain the role of servers and help you choose the right one
for your business.
- What is a server?
- Buying a server
- Keeping your server secure
What is a server?
Servers are essentially large hard drives on which you can store
data. They act as a central 'hub' for your data, allowing multiple
computers to connect at once so users can view and edit documents
and share them with other users. Servers also allow you to limit
access for certain users, which means you have control over files
you'd rather certain sections of your workforce didn't see.
- Servers are large hard drives on which to store data
- They allow multiple users to connect at once
- Limit access for certain users
Buying a server
When it comes to buying a server, reliability is key. If your
server goes down, it could put your business in jeopardy, so look
for a server with parts which can be taken out easily and quickly
replaced. Assess how much physical space you have in your office -
while an enormous server may seem like a good idea for a growing
business, you may not have enough space to house it.
- A reliable server is key
- Look for a server with parts which can be replaced quickly
- Don't overestimate the amount of space you have
Keeping your server secure
Just because the server isn't portable doesn't mean it's not at
risk from theft. Keep it in a safe location and consider locking it
in with security cables to prevent theft. Limit employee access to
the server, and make sure it is password protected so you know
exactly who is accessing what.
- Keep your server in a safe location and consider securing
- Limit employee access to the server
- Make sure it is password protected
Smarta Business Builder
To help you on your business journey, we've created Smarta Business Builder, the complete online
tools package for growing your business. Website
Documents and Email - all in one place
- from just £20 per month with no contract! Try it out today.