Using your business mobile phone abroad
If you need to travel outside of the UK for your business, you
will need to keep in contact - and if you're a small business, you
will need to keep your bill as low as possible. This guide will
give a step by step to making sure you can use your device and
provide tips on how to make this as cost effective as possible.
- What to do before you go
- Understand your costs and keeping them under control.
- Email and broadband abroad
What to do before you go
Two weeks before you leave, make sure your phone will work in
your intended destination - your mobile phone provider should be
able to tell you this. Make sure your phone isn't barred from use
abroad, and personalise the security code which is used to pick up
voicemails. Above all - don't forget to pack your charger.
- Make sure your phone will work abroad
- Personalise your voicemail security code
- Pack your charger
Understand your costs and keeping them under control
To minimise the cost of roaming, find out from your provider
what the charges will be, and take a list with you. Next, find out
which network will be cheapest for you to use abroad, and stick to
that - mobile phones are designed to find the strongest signal,
rather than the cheapest. If you're a frequent traveller, consider
getting a pay-as-you-go simcard for when you are abroad.
- Find out what the charges will be
- Stick to a cheaper network
- Consider getting a pay-as-you-go simcard
Email and broadband abroad
If you're using a Blackberry device and are set up with
Blackberry internet or enterprise service, it should work without
any set-up. You will be able to send and receive email, but do be
aware email roaming is treated similarly to voice with networks
passing on costs, so check with your provider the cost of using
email before you go.
- Blackberrys should work abroad
- Email will not require any setting up
- Check the costs with your provider before you leave
Smarta Business Builder
To help you on your business journey, we've created Smarta Business Builder, the complete online
tools package for growing your business. Website
Documents and Email - all in one place
- from just £20 per month with no contract! Try it out today.