Establishing your business property requirements
Moving premises can be a stressful scenario, and if the new
premises isn't exactly right for your business' needs, you risk
losing out. Creating a checklist of needs for you or your
commercial agent or surveyor to use when looking for premises is
the easiest way to make sure the property meets your requirements.
This guide will explain what to include.
- Size and layout
- Special requirements
Size and layout
You need to make sure your premises are the right size. Too big,
and you'll be overpaying; too small, and your workers will be
cramped. Work out how much you can afford - if you are looking at
large premises, don't forget to factor the cost of business rates,
utilities charges and maintenance and upkeep into your cost
- Make sure the premises are the right size
- Work out how much you can afford
- Don't forget to factor in the cost of maintenance, business
rates and utilities
Ask yourself which facilities you will need - your workers will
require toilets, adequate lighting, and probably a small kitchen,
and you may need parking, for example, or access for deliveries. If
customers need access, you may want to install an area for them, as
well as access for disabled customers.
- Workers will need toilets, lighting and a kitchen
- Will you need parking or access for deliveries?
- Consider whether you will need disabled access for
Work out what your special requirements are, and whether you
will need to make alterations to meet them. You may need space for
a spray booth or high ceilings , or you may need to make
alterations to meet health and safety or fire regulations. Find out
whether there is planning permission for these kinds of
alterations, and whether you will be able to alter or expand the
premises in the future.
- Work out what your special requirements are
- Find out if planning permission is available for
- Find out whether you will be able to expand the premises in the
Smarta Business Builder
To help you on your business journey, we've created Smarta Business Builder, the complete online
tools package for growing your business. Website
Documents and Email - all in one place
- from just £20 per month with no contract! Try it out today.