#O2SmartaBiz winner: Q App

Q App

Proposition: One sentence explanation of what your business is

Q App enables its users to avoid queuing in busy venues by letting them order and pay through their smartphones.

Why are you a smart business?

In this day and age of cloud computing, 4G connectivity and tablets with eye-tracking technology, it’s amazing that in-person ordering of food and drinks works the same way it did 100 years ago.

By combining smartphone technology, secure mobile payment processing and a sophisticated back-end platform, Q App is revolutionising the ordering process in bars, pubs, sports grounds, theatres, coffee shops and fast food outlets. In essence, the app does the queuing, so our users don’t have to - when the order is ready, user is notified and simply collects it or has it delivered to their table.

Since we are breaking new ground, continued innovation is critical and we are big fans of ‘fail quickly and cheaply’ approach – always testing new things and keeping a very close eye to our customers’ reaction, before either developing further or pulling a plug. This has been one of the keys to our success thus far.

What’s the smartest thing you’ve done to help your business grow?

Taking time to choose and then convince great angel investors to invest in us, and getting them excited and involved with helping to grow the business. We were lucky enough to have attracted some fantastic strategic investors and advice provided, relationships brought on board and doors opened have been even more valuable than the actual money put in. 

What smart things do you do for your customers?

Q App actually has three distinct groups of ‘customers’ - users, venues and advertisers.

For users, it offers the ease of browsing the full menu remotely, access to any active promotions/special offers, cashless/cardless ways to pay and, above all, convenience of avoiding the scrum at the bar.

For venues, the traditional ordering approach puts a natural limit on how many orders can be processed in a given time. By removing the inefficiencies, Q App enables venues to serve more orders in the same time period, cross-sell additional products to drive average order value, create promotions in real time and gain valuable insights on their customers’ purchase patterns.

And finally, Q App enables highly-targeted advertising, enabling brands to reach their customers at the very point of them making a purchase.

What smart technologies do you use to run your business?

We make heavy use of cloud-based technologies, keeping the fixed costs low and ensuring we can quickly increase the capacity in key areas as the business grows.

This includes both “standard” packages, like Google Apps, Redmine and Basecamp, and some proprietary tools that allow us to monitor everything on the go, including making tweaks to the product and testing them from our mobile phones.

What’s your smartest tip for other entrepreneurs?

A great idea is no more than 10% of the success - the remaining 90% can only come from hard work, focus and great execution.

 

For more information about Q App, click here. Follow them on Twitter @QApp_London.

Check out last week's #O2SmartaBiz here.

Get more details on how to be this week's #O2SmartaBiz here.

Follow @O2BusinessUK and @SmartaHQ on Twitter and tweet us using the #O2Smartabiz hashtag

 

We use cookies to create the most secure and effective website possible for our customers. Full details can be found here